The compost bin is still getting settled into the back yard. Both sets of neighbors have come over to inquire about the new addition. Fortunately they both think its a good idea and mentioned wanting to do something similar themselves. I have almost filled up the 1st bin and have a good bit of material in the second. When I was 'turning' the pile the other day I noticed steam coming out of the pile. I first thought it was dust, but when I stuck my hand down I could feel the heat coming out. I knew it would generate heat as it decomposed, but was surprised at the amount with it being so cold outside. Today we took Mom's infrared thermometer to see just how hot it was. Just a few inches down we took readings well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit with the highest being 135 and the air temperature outside in the low 40s. So if the heat ever goes out in the house, there's a free source outside.
Seeing this process first hand reminds me of the perfect design of creation. With relatively minimal inputs, plants grow providing a plethora of benefits to us. One not often mentioned is that the shedding of their leaves every fall, contribute to the soil. What we often consider waste, is really of great importance to the continuation of growth. Such an amazing design of balancing human life with plant life always reminds me of our creator. An amazing creation points to an amazing God.



No comments:
Post a Comment