Sunday, October 2, 2011

Brett Long Photography

An ongoing debate in our household is whether or not I can call myself a "photographer." I've been assisting Rebecca for every wedding and been with her for 95% of all other sessions outside of Samford stuff. Am I on her level of skill? Absolutely not. However, I've picked up some stuff along the way. I can operate a camera pretty efficiently and she does actually use my pictures a good bit. She occasionally threatens to fire me, but there's no way she could find somebody to work as cheap as me. I really like taking pictures. Its always different, challenging, and a nice change of pace from my business. Its also great getting to work with my wife. A lot of shoots are at inopportune times, nights/weekends, but we're together so I don't mind.

There have now been two occasions in which I have acted completely solo. I joke that I am going to break off and start my own photography business, but that would quickly take away the fun. The first time was last spring when I shot the Southern Conference Track Championship hosted at Samford. Rebecca and Caroline were tied up with Samford stuff, so the conference photographer hired me as his side for the weekend. It was a good time, but weird being on my own.

The second time came this past Thursday night. A family friend called last minute to see if Rebecca was available to shoot a small premiere ceremony for the movie Courageous. The photographer they usually use had backed out. Rebecca was already doing something at Samford, so I called the guy back to tell him she was busy, but I was available if that would do. He would take whomever at this point in the day. So I drove to the theater and went to work.

The movie is the fourth production from Sherwood Films, a ministry of a church out of Georgia. This film is about the importance of fatherhood and depicts the lives of four sheriff's deputies. So the premise of the premiere was to honor the local police officers around the city. Along with a bunch of officers, the state Attorney General Luther Strange was there. Overall attendance was not that great, but the people there were excited.

We had already planned on going the following night with our small group, so I did not stick around for the movie. So my payment for my time was free tickets for Rebecca and me on Friday night. With movie prices these days, its a decent amount for my skill level.

Rebecca touched up my photos when I got home. She even said they were acceptable enough to but her company name on them for media release.

So Brett Long Photography is available for all your photography needs.






The extremely tall man is Attorney General Luther Strange coming in at 6'9"







No comments:

Post a Comment