So, as a way to redeem myself, I decided to build Rebecca an Urban Garden Box. Since we live in a condo, we have zero yard space and its hard for me to get fired up about stuff in pots. This planter would give her more room to experiment and conveniently located on our balcony. I also have had a desire to build something lately, so this gave me an excuse to use my tools. It also coincided with the weekend David and Emily were in town to visit with us for the weekend. So we deemed Saturday, "Project/Craft Day." David decided to make some cubbie hole shelves for the Lucy's soon to be room. Emily introduced Rebecca to Pinterest so they now have endless ideas for stuff.
David and I went to Lowes to get our supplies. The mitre saw was the only tool we had to borrow from my Dad. The weather was beautiful, so it was hard to beat getting to have a relaxed Saturday working on something you really enjoy. Both projects took us all day. We had to pause during the late afternoon for some Christmas photos at the request of our wives. I set up a TV in the garage so we were able to stay updated on football. I was super pleased with how both projects turned out with our limited carpentry knowledge. I think the shelves will look great in the nursery room. Hopefully the garden box will be just the right vessel to tap into Rebecca's master gardener desire.
| Our work area. |
| The plywood base for my garden box. |
| The sides before they got cut. |
| The side boards after getting cut. |
| The sides put together. |
| A look at the underside of the box. |
| Adding drainage holes to the plywood. |
| The landscape fabric added to the bottom. |
| Adding some drip irrigation. |
| Finished product. The main line runs around the top with feeder lines ready to run to the middle. |
| All done. |
| Plans for David's project. |
| Calibrating the saw. |
| Ready to put the puzzle together. |
| The finishing touches. |
| All done. |
No comments:
Post a Comment