Our first major problem with the condo arose yesterday. The heat stopped working. This is the second time this year this has happened to me. The first was back in January, on the coldest night of the year. We had gotten out of school for the minor threat of ice. The ice didn't happen, but the cold did. I decided to install my new digital thermostat during my free time that afternoon. After consulting my dad about the wiring, we decided we had it right. It worked for about 2 seconds until whatever function tripped the two wire we had misconnected. My uncle, who works on these things for a living, told me I had blown the compressor (I think that is what he said). Anyways, the whole system wouldn't work and we were without heat for the night. Fortunately the landlord got it fixed the next day and didn't charge me for it. Yesterday, Rebecca noticed a funny smell coming from the furnace. She turned it off until I got home. I turned it back on that night. The thermostat seems to be working as I can hear the furnace trying to turn on, however no air is coming out of the vents. Dad is coming over this afternoon to diagnose the problem. Hopefully it won't be too expensive. Our condo did come with a one year warranty on all appliances paying up to $550, so hopefully that will cover most of the repair if needed.
Meanwhile we have sectioned off the condo and basically staying in the bedroom as much as possible with our space heater. I had to work outside today and even though there's no heat in here, its still much warmer than outside. Our thermometer in the living room says 55 degrees as of right now. Having spent a heat-free winter in the Sycamore House I feel adequately prepared for these situations, however Rebecca is not so use to it. She refers to it as "angry cold."
No comments:
Post a Comment