Tuesday, May 18, 2010

True Life

For almost a year now a group of us have been anticipating an episode of MTV's True Life. This is not a throwback to my misguided TRL days. The real reason being, Rebecca's former roommate, Laura Beth and her now husband, Brett, were documented for the episode, "I'm a Newlywed." With an episode list that features entertainment such as "I'm Bisexual, I'm Addicted to Porn, I'm an Alcoholic, I work in the Sex Industry," what 'unusual' characteristic could MTV be interested in? Like many Christians, Brett and LB held to their convictions of not having sex until they were married. For MTV this is freakish enough, so as icing on the cake for the network, Brett and LB had never kissed each other, nor anyone else and wouldn't until they got to the altar. These facts allowed them the opportunity to be documented and share their story. Being MTV, Brett and LB had reservations about agreeing to the show for fear of an unfair portrayal. They obviously decided to do the show and do their best to accurately share their stories and the spiritual reasons behind their convictions, and let God handle how it is portrayed and received. Just like the stock market, there is always risk associated with reward. With a national audience a huge risk could have huge rewards for the kingdom. (Rewards are not always experienced in this life)

The big premiere was last night. David, Emily, Matthew, Clay, Kelsey, Rebecca, and I went up to the BSU to watch the show since we don't have cable. I was hoping to make the cut, but they showed very little footage from the wedding so I never got my face on national TV. Rebecca being the Maid of Honor made several clips and had a few lines. We were all pretty nervous about how they would be portrayed since they're Christians and from the South.The hour long show also documented another couple who were in a long distance relationship and just got married.There were parts that were very awkward. Since the show was about them going from 'nothing' to 'all the way,' clips were centered around conversations about sex. Having known these people for so long it was odd to see them talk about their sex life on national TV. I thought the show was good overall and cast them in a positive light. I could see some people on 'our side' not liking it so I sent Brett Williams an email this morning to give him positive feedback. I knew he wouldn't expect one from me, so it wouldn't be taken as lip service. Here is an excerpt:
Sure, parts of it were awkward, but that's the nature of MTV. I know they only took a fraction of a percent of the total film they shot and edited it to their liking. Even so, I took away two things from watching it last night.

  1. I didn't feel like they tried to portray you in a inaccurate light. It felt like the same Brett and Laura Beth I was used to being around at Academy Village.
  2. The crowd who usually watches MTV will consider the awkwardness mild compared to what's normally on that channel. Either they will be intrigued or write you off. If they are intrigued and seek out a greater knowledge of our Christian convictions, then mission accomplished. If not, then they are right where they started and you did them no harm.
You were able to tell your story as best as possible under the circumstances in a way that didn't compromise or misrepresent any of your beliefs to a crowd that would not have heard so otherwise. If there are those who say it was "too much husband/wife information" or "not enough about Christianity;" then the show was probably not intended to reach them and they maybe needed to change the lenses through which they viewed.
In a show that seeks to display the unique in society it is a bittersweet feeling that abstinence is such a foreign concept to so many. It is sad that so few people practice this. However, because of this reason Brett and LB were given a platform that would not have been available otherwise.

A few posts ago I wrote about marriage. The fact Rebecca and I saved ourselves for marriage has made it all the better. Abstinence prevents comparison, children out of wedlock, and STDs. It forces you to get to know the person emotionally rather than just seek out physical satisfaction.You have your whole marriage to enjoy that aspect and the good things in life are always worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment