Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Transition of an Era

We're now in Birmingham, but it doesn't feel like home, even though I grew up here. It took me nearly 6 years living in Starkville and gaining a wife to finally call it home.

We finished packing up with little room to spare in the uhaul. Dad and I cleaned out my office on campus. It would have been such a nicer feeling if I was actually completely done with my thesis. I went with Megan to transfer our utilities over to her name. We then went to our final meal at La Terraza with my parents, Rebecca's mom, Megan, and the Franci.




We said our goodbyes. The girls shed some tears. It was a sad moment in the parking lot of that Mexican restaurant. We knew this day was coming for many months, but it didn't make it any easier. It makes you wonder why you are moving. Our standard response about being back often is as much of a reassurance to ourselves as it is to everyone else.


Starkville has been great. I never thought I would have grown as attached to it as I have. As much as I like Starkville, Rebecca and I both feel its not the best place to base our respective businesses out of. To me Starkville has always felt like a holding pattern on life. Its a city of people in transition, so the things you grow to love are also in transition. The biggest of those being friends. Most of my friends have long since moved away. The one set of friends who have made the college and married transition with us is the largest reason it has been so hard to leave. Living in the same apartment complex gave the true feeling of community that let a friendship bloom unlike any other. It was rare for a day to pass without one of us going to the others house to catch up on the days events. Boredom was not an option with friends just 100 yards away. So David and Emily, since you two are some of the few who actually read my blog, Rebecca and I just wanted to say we will truly miss you guys. The Lord has provided us with so much already in Birmingham we know he will take care of the friend department too, however it is hard to ask for replacements, because we wouldn't want to replace you. So where ever we may be, its never 'goodbye', just 'see you later'.

No comments:

Post a Comment