Saturday, November 20, 2010

Looking in all the Wrong Places

I'm in the book of Luke right now and came to Chapter 2. I almost skipped over since it was the Christmas story and we're not to Thanksgiving yet. My personal policy is no Christmas 'til after Thanksgiving. But, I figured I could break my policy for the bible. The part that stuck with me that day was Jesus being left at the temple (Luke 2:41-52). I don't remember ever being left anywhere as a kid. The closest thing I can remember is Mom not being able to find me in a department store. We were with some other people, I think my Mom's side of the family, so I'm sure she thought I was with another adult. I remember wandering around having a good time when over the store intercom came something along the lines of "Brett Long your mother is waiting for you at the front of the store." I did as the voice commanded and was reunited with a worried mother.

So I can see how Mary and Joseph could lose Jesus. I'm sure they had other children at this point and they were not perfect like their savior brother. I bet when they were rounding up their kids, Jesus was always last on the roll call since he never caused any trouble and like the bible says they assumed he was with family. When they realized he was missing it took them 3 days to find him. My Mom got concerned when I was missing for a few minutes, so 3 days to Mary must have felt like a lifetime. They would be arrested for child neglect today. Anyways, when they finally found him he gave his famous response  "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" 


When I've read this in the past I usually think about how spiritual and smart Jesus was even at 12 years old. This time I started to think about when we are looking for Jesus in our lives. So many times I look in the wrong places or make it more difficult than it has to be. Jesus is not hiding from us. He has made it quite clear how to find him. We are the stubborn ones who continue to look on our own. Whether you are seeking for the first time or just trying to learn more, we have all we need in the bible. You may find hints in other places, but to truly know him you must go to his word. When we find Jesus I feel we will ask ourselves the same question: "Why was I looking (in all the wrong places) for Jesus?" The answer is this case is the most obvious, right where he told us he would be.


"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." - Jeremiah 29:13

No comments:

Post a Comment