Even though we're no longer in school, Rebecca and I still get to take a similar style break for the holiday season. Since Samford shuts down and my business is in its seasonal slow, we got to take several days off.
My aunt and uncle from Minnesota were in town with my grandparents. They all came to Birmingham on Wednesday. So we had our family meal with them that evening. Rebecca and I then headed to Starkville to see her Dad's side of the family.
This was my 9th trip back to Starkville since we left at the end of July. This was my first time ever though to be in Starkville over Thanksgiving. The city was the calmest I've ever seen it with all the students and a lot of residents out of town for the Holiday. I went on my 'long' run before the actual half marathon next weekend. I did 12.5 miles in just under two hours. So I should be able to meet my goal of two hours for the actual race. We stayed at Mammie's house. Rebecca's parents were also there that first night. Thanksgiving day the rest of the family came to town. We had a great meal and I think I was the only one who went back for seconds. Maybe because I ran so much that morning. Soon after we ate it got very quiet as everyone found a corner to lie down and nap. That's one of my favorite parts of the holiday. A full stomach with nothing to do but relax. After everyone began to stir we decided to go to campus and take some family photos. The weather was still unusually warm that day so I'm in shorts. That evening everyone except Mammie, Rebecca, and me headed home. It was good to get some time with Mammie without all the action of the big crowd.
Friday was Mammie's birthday so we took her to Old Venice for lunch. When we got back they took a nap. Rebecca got in one of her 3 hours specials. I called up my friend Matthew so I would have someone to watch the Iron Bowl with. What and up and down heart break. Mammie had some extra tickets to MSU's basketball game so Rebecca and I went for the first half. Good to get to see the a little of the basketball team. Although I'd be surprised if we do very well in SEC play.
Our evening activity and reason for the extended stay was the MSU Egg Ball. The family we did the Bat Mitzvah for back in June asked up if we would shoot the event. Being a charity fund raiser they couldn't pay us, but it gives up the opportunity to sell the photos online and make a lot of good contacts. The event was to raise money for Kids Count. They had a live and silent auction, a band, and dancing. It took place on the club level of Davis Wade Stadium. It lasted four hours and we took a lot of pictures. It was a nice change from a wedding since we weren't in charge of anything and could just document the events of the evening. Hopefully we will get some orders. Even if we don't make a lot of money off the event, we were going to be in Starkville anyways for Thanksgiving and we got to spend some extra time with Mammie.
We headed out on Saturday around 1. We helped put up some of Mammie's Christmas decorations before we left. She had laid awake a good portion of the night with a fibulation in her heart. So she was thrilled when she saw her decorations up. It was a great trip and lots of fun with family. Rebecca was able to catch up on her rest and get away from editing for a while. We are so fortunate to have such wonderful families that not only get along, but enjoy being with each other.



No comments:
Post a Comment